Monday, July 20, 2009

If I would just get better at updating these post wouldn't be so long...

Welp as always look who is terrible at updating their blog.
I'm really not even sure as to why its so hard for me to just sit down and update this thing. Life here seems to move so fast, and this summer is racing by me, so perhaps that's a small bit of it. I think its mainly that I just never think that there's much to say, even though every day here is an adventure.
Here's a quick overview of life as of late:

Watched the bears (JB, Patrone, Hugo) eat a moose leg the other day.

Hung out with a black sitka deer named Julie



Went and explored an abandoned WW2 military building


Hiked a glacier-- the hike was 7.5 miles round trip, with a 4,000 ft elevation gain (I wanted to die), but I made it and am so proud of myself for that.



Had a wild bear come into the center and had to go into emergency lock down mode
Pet some baby moose
Weekly beer pong nights (are we back in college...?)
Met like a million other people from Wisconsin
Went to a festival in Girdwood, and hoola-hooped the shit outa that town



Danced whenever I could
Finally making progress on PQ'ing for Antarctica
Hitchhiked multiple times successfully
Saw some whales & PUFFINS!!

and probably some other cool stuff that I'm totally forgetting about at this moment.

I'm really glad though, that I decided to make the trek out here. I know for a while I was super nervous about the prospect of leaving home for four months again, having to again make new friends in a new place, and be away from everyone (all of whom I miss dearly). It makes me really appreciate what I have at home, but at the same time appreciate the world a little bit more and the fact that I'm so lucky to actually get to travel and see things and do things I never would have dreamed of. I'm meeting so many great people while I'm here, seeing so many beautiful things, and spending a ton of time with animals I have only dreamed of getting this close to.

I'm kind of excited to see what adventures are around the corner for me.
Antarctica for sure, but after that who knows?
I still want to backpack around Ireland when I get back, so if anyone's down for that drop me a line....

No comments: