Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The last sunset of the season

has arrived. Its actually tonight, but many of us thought it was last night so we celebrated only how Antarctica could. It was a lovely time, some dancing was had, birthday wishes to Jeremy were sang, and a hike was had.

Sorry its been so long since I've last updated (sorry mom!), but as of late not much has been going on here. There's always a dance party to attend, a mid-rats dinner to be eaten at 12:30 a.m. and a dish to be washed, a counter to be scrubbed, and when we run out of stuff, a wall to be washed. All in all, I'm enjoying life here, and making some amazing friends along the way. Its actually quite strange, in the fact that I have literally only known these people less than two weeks, and I already feel as though I've grown up with some of them. I hold them as close to me as I do any of my friends from school. I guess being put in such a harsh continent (its the saying down here), you learn to be friends fast and keep it going strong. Anywho, here is a slight introduction to some of my bestest friends here, almost all of whom I met in Denver at orientation.

First up is Mr. J. Rice . He hails from Cali and is an all around pretty tight dude. We have our disagreements at the moment, but its mostly because we don't quite have a feel for one anthers sense of humor. We're getting there though. I made him a moose head plaque for his birthday.



Next up is Miss Jess. She hails originally from Alaska, but more recently came from Seattle where she just moved to with her bf and two cats. She's pretty much the shit and I love her to death already.



Then there is the ammmmazing Alisa. She is pretty much one of my favorite people here. We are so alike its crazy. Both of us are always dancing and singing to our own beat. She has a pretty cool job here too, shes one of the disbatch people for the fire department.



Then there is John. He's a cool kid, I think from D.C. He likes pretty good music and is always down for hanging out. Jon and I have had some pretty wild conversations here, fore shore.



There's also Metro, and Kendra, and Chris, and Emily, Danny, I mean the list could litterally go on and on. I basically love almost everyone here I've met so far, and each day that passes like them all more and more.

Its going to be interesting to see how the next few months pan out, and how our friendships grow.

3 comments:

TOM_Bender said...

KAT!!! Holy crap, your in Anartica?! Thats too rad! I came across your blog via team Pegasus and am followin' now...stay warm!-------------------------------BENDER

kat said...

Hey!! Yeah I totally made it here, and its still crazy. Half the time I don't even believe it! Its rad though, and there are bikes we can check out and even cyclocross races! I hope things are going rad for you! Keep in touch!

Shawn Small said...

the sun may set on Antarctica but will shine on in my heart due to thoughts of you!